The worst fear surrounding any sporting game or even any activity happening in the world right now is when there is a positive case for COVID-19.
Globally, every day, we are recording cases that are close to 100k, and we can’t wait for the day when the numbers will stop hiking. So far, confirmed cases for coronavirus stands at over 4 million with over 277k deaths.
UFC has now confirmed that an MMA Fighter, Ronaldo Souza, nicknamed ‘Jacare,’ who was on the fighting card, has tested for the coronavirus. He was scheduled to fight Uriah Hall in a middleweight bout. That fight has now been pulled off, and officials have confirmed that UFC 249 will still continue as planned.
There were speculations on Friday from an initial report from ESPN about a confirmed case of COVID-19 among the fighters participating in UFC 249.
This came after the Executive Vice President and Chief Business Officer of UFC Hunter Campbell told ESPN that they had received a promotional clearance to proceed with the event from (FSAC) Florida State Athletic Commission.
Now, UFC has released another statement saying that two of Souza’s cornermen have also tested positive for COVID-19. They cleared any speculations by announcing that no other fighters participating in UFC have tested positive.
UFC 249 will take place on May 9, 2020, at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, Jacksonville, Florida, United States. And you can be sure that you won’t be seeing “Jacare” on the fighting card. But the main fight on the card between Ferguson vs Gaethje is still happening.
The statement from UFC stated that UFC’s medical team examined Souza and his two cornermen. They found that the three men were asymptomatic, and they were not showing any common symptoms of COVID-19.
The three men have now been allowed to leave the hotel, and are supposed to self-isolate off the premises. However, the UFC’s medical team have said that they will monitor them remotely, and provide any medical assistance in their way to recovery.
Souza said that he thinks he contracted the coronavirus from a family member who had earlier tested positive on Wednesday when he arrived in Jacksonville. Souza was tested, and he got his positive results on Friday night.
However, some fears exist since Souza is believed to have interacted with several fighters on the fighting card at the host hotel.
UFC president Dana White also fist-bumped Souza and Hall as they made their weight on Friday. And White now claims how much he fears to die.
Souza and Hall both wore masks for their faceoff. For precautionary purposes, Souza was told to wear gloves, and he stood several feet farther apart from Hall, which was uncommon for the other fighters on the card.
We hope there will be a new date for Souza (26-8 MMA, 9-5 UFC) and Hall (15-19 MMA, 8-7 UFC) fight that has been pulled off. UFC 249 is happening on Saturday, and you can watch every bout on the fighting card via ESPN+ pay-per.
At last, we can enjoy some MMA fighting action despite the COVID-19 pandemic affecting the entire world.