News

MLB to Offer Ticket Refunds for Postponed Games on Request

MLB to Offer Ticket Refunds for Postponed Games

MLB is now considering to adhere to a simple choice for their fans by rolling out ticket refund policies. It will be for all the matches that were postponed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

This deadly virus has affected more than 4.3 million cases, with deaths surfacing 290k. The U.S. is the most hit country with nearly 1.4 million cases and 82k deaths.

From the current statistics, coronavirus numbers are still spiking every day, and all we can hope is for our able medical researchers and scientists to come up and approve a vaccine before the virus takes more lives.

Major League Baseball has released a statement that allows people who had purchased earlier tickets for postponed matches to ask for a refund if that’s what they want. Alternatively, they can wait for next season to receive more baseball games later.

Furthermore, MLB has directed all its 30 clubs to start adopting ticket refund policies for any game that was supposed to be played in March, April, and May. This comes after MLB decided to postpone games in early March to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and adhere to all government directives placed to fight off this deadly virus.

Clubs will be offering single as well as season-ticket holders the chance to keep their tickers for them to receive bonuses that may range between 5-50%, and this will be applicable in the 2021 season.

You now have the chance to get the money you used in buying tickets since there is a possibility that the current 2020 season may be scrapped off or played in closed stadiums with no spectators.

Clubs are willing to offer refunds for postponed games, but some teams are more explicitly than others. There are several teams set to issue refunds on games scheduled through April, and some are going a step forward to an extended period through May.

The Tampa Bay Rays posted a statement on their official web site that urged their fans that there are working on issuing credits or refund for games set to be played on March, April, and May 2020.

They added that this was a move they are working together with MLB and CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) to come up with contingency plans to whether it’s possible to resume normal operations or not.

Local revenue and ticket sales contribute to about 40% of the MLB industry’s annual revenue, which is estimated to be close to $10.5 billion. While we believe the other 60% comprises mostly of Television rights and other endorsements.

30 MLB clubs sent emails and posted online about the postponement of games because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Now there are ready to issue ticket refunds with the credit option available.

The decision remains with you as a fan to take action on how you’re going to use your credit, and you can get all the information you need on the club’s official websites with the option of requesting a refund.

Clubs have also said that they will only refund tickets that were purchased directly from them, and not through third-party services.

About the author

Sarah Lacy

Sarah Lacy

Sarah Lacy is a reporter covering Amazon. Sarah is just another cricket fan who’s grown up watching the likes of Sachin Tendulkar and Steve Smith. Cricket runs in her veins. Cover drive is her favorite sight, and a ball meeting the middle of the bat is her favorite sound. Sarah's work has appeared in The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Politico, and the Houston Chronicle.

Email:sarah@fastlinesports.com